How to Throw a New Year’s Day Brunch
A brunch is a great way to start the New Year…
Most guests would prefer a brunch to breakfast after a hectic night of partying to ring in the New Year. It is important to keep the menu and décor as simple as possible.
Here are some tips that will help you organize a tasty and enjoyable brunch.
- It would be more practical to have a tapas-style course. The display should look colorful and inviting.
- Add a cheese plate with an assortment of cheeses, grapes, crackers, ham slices and olives.
- Make a simple couscous salad to accompany grilled shrimps with garlic and lime.
- If you are planning a barbeque, make sure that you prepare the grill before your guests arrive.
- Make finger sandwiches with various fillings like ham and cheese, cucumber and cream cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato, egg salad, tuna salad and more.
- Grill zucchini strips and sweet potato fries.
- Have some cocktails and mocktails.
- Make some chicken wings and a yogurt dip with mustard. Marinate the chicken pieces in readymade barbeque sauce, pepper and garlic for at least 4 hours.
- Serve some salsa, sour cream and jalapenos with nachos.
- To make things easier, have a potluck theme lunch where your guests contribute an item of food each.
- If you are planning to have the party outside, hire a few long tables and chairs to accommodate all your guests.
- Decorate the tables with fresh flowers. Use shawls or dupattas to cover the tables. The different patterns, because of the assorted pieces of cloth, will give the tables a bohemian look.
- Make garlands of flowers and paper cups to hang all over the house.
- Arrange bean bags and mattresses for people to relax on.
- Place picnic mats for children to sit on.
- Make sure you convey to your guests that the dress code is casual. People are more relaxed when they are in comfortable clothes.
- Make sure kids are occupied.
- Have balloons for the kids to play with.
- Have crayons and drawing paper; that is sure to keep them busy and out of your hair!
- If time permits, organize a small treasure hunt for the children.