Ayurveda, the age-old Hindu system of medicine, has gifted many natural remedies to the world. Chyawanprash is one among them.
Chyawanprash, Chyavanaprasha or Chyavanaprasam is herb-based, nutritive and offers a host of health benefits. Available in the form of jam, chyawanprash is dark brown, sticky and has a mix of sweet, salt and spicy.
It is believed that chyawanprash is named after a rishi called Chyawan. A concoction was prepared by two sages to restore the youth and vitality of the aging Chyawan. ‘Prash’ in Sanskrit means ‘specially prepared food’. The preparation was therefore named chyawanprash and has hence been used to retain youthfulness and stay in the pink of health.
With the main ingredient being gooseberry, chyawanprash also contains vital Ayurvedic herbs like cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, ashwagandha, tulsi, brahmi, neem, long pepper and white sandalwood, to name a few. Owing to the honey and clarified butter used to mix the ingredients, the preparation assumes a jam-like consistency.
Some of the health benefits this wonder tonic packs are:
1. Prevents infections: Chyawanprash makes the immune system strong. It helps fights infections like fungal, bacterial and viral ones which usually tend to occur during seasonal changes.
2. Good for respiratory issues: The herbs in this Ayurvedic tonic provide relief for people facing chronic and long-term respiratory ailments. It helps the lungs to carry out their function effectively.
3. Improves the digestion system: Chyawanprash plays a key role in improving the digestive system. It streamlines bowel movements and aids in digestion. The presence of cinnamon and gooseberry in it help to prevent flatulence owing to the carminative properties. It also helps in the prevention of constipation.
4. Keeps skin healthy: The consumption of chyawanprash introduces a healthy dose of vitamin C into the body in addition to other invigorating herbs like saffron. These keep the skin healthy and radiant and also prevent aging.
5. Regulates menstruation: The natural ingredients of chyawanprash can regularize the menstrual cycle and other menstrual-related issues. It is also said to be useful in coping with sexual problems.
6. Good source of energy:The daily grind filled with tension, work overload and deadlines sap the energy of even highly efficient people. A daily dose of chyawanprash ensures that the body is supplemented with the necessary nutrients that keep you feeling energetic.
7. Acts as a stressbuster: Hectic lifestyles and sleep deprivation cause a large amount of stress. The calming herbs in chyawanprash help in soothing the nervous system and in coping with stress and related problems.
8. Helps in blood purification: The dependency on junk food and eating at odd times is responsible for unnecessary toxins invading our bodies. The presence of excessive toxins in turn leads to ailments and complications since the natural blood purification in the body is hampered. Regular intake of chyawanprash eliminates the excess toxins and succeeds in purifying the blood naturally.
9. Improves memory: With the pressure to perform efficiently and give the job at hand your entire focus, it is difficult to keep pace. To stay on track you most definitely need a sharp memory. The herbs in chyawanprash come to your aid as they boost the functions of the brain by enhancing concentration and sharpening memory.
10. Helps to stay fit: Chyawanprash is good for boosting the metabolism and thus keeps weight in check. Without excess fat, the body stays fit and healthy.
11. Keeps blood pressure in check: The Ayurvedic herbs in this tonic are good for keeping blood pressure in check. It also helps to lower high levels of cholesterol in the blood.
12. Good for the heart: The herbal ingredients present in chyawanprash are responsible for promoting the healthy functioning of the heart, keeping it fit and fine.
13. Helps to combat cold: Vitamin C is the best way to counter symptoms of cold and cough. Since chyawanprash contains a healthy dose of vitamin C, regular intake will ensure keeping these infections at bay.
14. Nourishes hair and nails: It has many antioxidants that are greatly beneficial for healthy hair and nails. These antioxidants keep hair healthy and prevent premature greying. Nails too become healthy and brittle nails can be avoided.
15. Helps to fight urinary infections: Chyawanprash is known to fight urinary infections. The mild diuretic action in the tonic tackles infections of the bladder.
Chyawanprash, with its dark brown, gooey appearance may make you shirk away. But it more than makes up for its unimpressive appearance thanks to the health benefits it can pack into a bottle. Stir a spoonful into a glass of milk or water or spread it on your toast or cracker. Make it a part of your daily routine and get your daily dose of good health.
Word of caution: Diabetics can go for sugar-free variants of chyawanprash after consulting with their healthcare practitioner.