Tame That Mane
A well-groomed shiny head of hair has a distinctive attractiveness of its own. Most of us do take care of our hair, but many of us don’t seem to know how to give it that extra care to make it lustrous, full-bodied and healthy
Read ahead for some simple but effective tips for caring for your crowning glory!
- Good nutrition is the most effective way of getting awesome hair! Glossy, healthy hair reflects a healthy body. Just like your body, your hair needs a balanced, wholesome diet to stay healthy. So, eat up those veggies and fresh fruits!
- Water makes up one-fourth of the weight of a strand of hair. Moisture makes the hair supple, so make sure you get plenty of fluids.
- Try brushing your hair before shampooing if you have trouble with tangled, knotted hair.
- When applying conditioner, comb it through to help evenly distribute the product through your hair.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair type. Choose products that are gentle,
- Check out the ingredients in your shampoos and conditioners to find one to suit your hair type. Ingredients such as coconut oil moisturize dry hair, make hair softer and soothe the scalp; tea conditions and softens hair; jojoba moisturizes permed or colored hair and makes hair manageable; silicone makes hair silky; lemon gives hair a natural shine and conditions it too; honey conditions deeply; henna leaves are natural hair dyes; apple cider vinegar and rosemary oil encourage hair growth and control dandruff.
- Using too much conditioner makes hair greasy. Apply conditioner on the hair shafts, not on the scalp.
- Massaging your scalp with your fingertips helps the blood to circulate to the scalp.
- Hair is easily broken when wet. Avoid brushing your hair when it is wet.
- Blow-drying damages hair, causing dryness and split-ends due to the close contact between the heat on the scalp and hair. Avoid blow-drying, if possible. Otherwise, use it on low heat, face the dryer downwards and use a leave-on conditioner for protection
- Excessive perming, dying, highlighting, blow-drying, curlers or the use of strong hairstyling products causes stress to the hair and damages it in the long run.
- Split ends are preventable but not repairable. Cutting them off is the only solution.
- Oil your hair often, preferably with coconut oil or olive oil.
- Blend bananas with honey, yoghurt and low-fat milk. It is a drink rich in biotin and can help keep your crowning glory firmly rooted!
- Invert your head while you shampoo and massage your scalp as this helps encourage blood circulation to the head.
- Eliminate stress – it is one of the root causes of hair loss.
- Get your forty winks a day. Good sleep equates good hair,
With hair coloring becoming a rage, many people are unaware of the damage that constant hair coloring causes. It causes mineral deficiencies in the hair and is also one of the causes for hair loss and hair damage.
- The best advice for colored hair – do it in moderation! No matter what product you use, hair coloring is, at the end of the day, hard on your hair. It will survive minor coloring adjustments, but constant hair coloring will ultimately take its toll and damage your hair.
- If you have colored your hair, moisturize it every week with a heavy-duty moisturizer
- To protect your color from fading in the summer, spray a leave-in conditioner in your hair before going into the sun.
- There are products available for colored hair. Use those to take care of your mane
Follow these tips and you can toss back your shiny, bouncy healthy mane and face the world with confidence!