Nothing beats juicy watermelon during the scorching summer months. We give you some delicious recipes you can try with this delicious, healthy fruit.
The heat is rising as the water levels are slowly dropping. It is going to be a long and hot summer but life must go on. Remaining hydrated at all times is crucial to help maintain our health and keep our minds sharp. It is imperative that we find cooling foods to help our body fight the heat.
A summer staple around the world is the juicy watermelon. Watermelon is no longer considered to be mere water. It is in fact loaded with nutrients such as vitamins and antioxidants. Watermelon not only keeps the body hydrated but is effective in controlling blood pressure, aids in digestion, reduces soreness in muscles and even helps fight cancer.
A few simple watermelon recipes can help you incorporate this delicious fruit in different ways in your diet:
Watermelon Mint Cooler
- 4 cups seedless watermelon chunks (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups lemonade
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- In a blender, puree the watermelon and lemonade; strain if desired.
- Stir in the mint and serve over ice.
Mango Watermelon Smoothie
5 cups cubed and deseeded watermelon
- 1 mango – peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Ice (if required)
- Blend watermelon, mango, water, and sugar together in a blender until smooth.
- Place ice into glasses and pour smoothie over ice.
Spicy Watermelon Salsa
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 tbsps cider vinegar
- 1 tbsps honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients to create a dressing and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients in separate bowl and toss.
- Refrigerate covered, and pour in the dressing and toss, only at the time of serving. If necessary, drain before serving.
- 5 kg watermelon, including rind
- 90 g unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Canola oil to grease the dish
- 1 cup sparkling wine (optional)
- Cut the watermelon into large pieces and purée.
- Strain the puréed watermelon through a fine strainer to remove the pulp and seeds.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the gelatin with 1 cup of the watermelon juice; let it stand for 3 minutes.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and warm the remaining watermelon juice and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the gelatin mixture and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Pour in the mixture, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, cut the jelly into cubes and plate them into dishes. Drizzle sparkling wine on top, if desired.
- 4 cups cubed watermelon, seeded, divided
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated lime peel
- 1 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- Puree 3 cups watermelon in a blender.
- Cut remaining watermelon into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon puree, lime juice, lime peel, ginger and salt. Stir in the tomato, cucumber, green pepper, cilantro, onion, jalapeno and cubed watermelon. Chill until serving.
- 1 cup grated watermelon (white portion of the watermelon)
- 2 tbsps milk powder
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Few strands of saffron soaked in hot milk
- Cardamom powder
- Dry fruits for garnishing
- Pour ghee into a wok. When it becomes hot, add the grated watermelon and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar, milk and cook the watermelon.
- When it becomes soft, add the milk powder mixed in little water/milk and bring to boil.
- Add the cardamom powder and switch off the gas.
- Garnish with dry fruits. Serve chilled.