Sandalwood is an aromatic wood belonging to the genus Santalum. We mostly associate it with perfumes, incense sticks, talcum and furniture. Here we will see how this natural wood can be a boon for beautiful skin.
Sandalwood or chandan has been used as a home remedy from ancient times to nourish skin and cure it of any ailments like pimples, blemishes, acne and rashes. Today it is being extensively used in commercial beauty products as well for its potential in the care and beautification of skin. Let us explore why and how it can be called the eternal beauty tool.
The many medicinal properties and natural oils of sandalwood make it one of the most reliable home remedies in maintaining the health of skin and in the treatment of skin conditions. Some of its properties that help in the maintenance of skin health are:
Anti-aging property: Sandalwood has a toning effect on the skin which helps to shrink the pores in the skin. It also succeeds in giving it an even texture, so drooping, sagging and aging is prevented. The resulting tightening makes the skin look supple and youthful.
Anti-tanning property: The harsh effects of the sun on the skin can be soothed by the natural cooling oils of sandalwood. It not only cools the sunburns, it also prevents the skin from tanning.
Softens skin: Sandalwood when used regularly in its oil form can be very effective in making the skin baby soft. For best results it can be combined with natural oils and massaged into the skin.
Soothes prickly heat: The cooling astringent property of chandan is a god-send to deal with the itchy and prickly summer skin. Prickly heat is caused due to the harsh summer heat and the consequent excessive sweating.
Soothes itches: Infections cause skin itchiness, soreness, redness and inflammation. Sandalwood can bring relief to these skin conditions within minutes of application because of its cooling and healing property.
Treats pimples and acne: Sandalwood has antibacterial properties that work successfully in fighting bacteria and fungi responsible for the outbreak of acne and pimples.
Provides clear complexion: Chandan can be used as a blend with other natural ingredients to make dull skin clear and free of blemishes, leaving skin glowing and attractive.
How to use sandalwood
1. Sandalwood powder mixed with rosewater can be applied to the face to cure blemishes and prickly heat. If you have dry skin you can alternate rosewater with milk.
2. To remove scars and blackheads, a mix of chandan powder, turmeric powder and a pinch of camphor can work wonders. You can leave it for an hour or even overnight to get best results.
3. Add about two spoons each of coconut and almond oil to two tablespoons of sandalwood powder. Apply the paste to the face and leave for about 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water to get a soft skin. The mixture also helps to get rid of sunburn and suntan. A paste made with chandan powder, sour curd and honey is also equally effective in getting rid of suntan and giving a glow to the skin.
4. For rashes, allergies and burns a solution of sandalwood powder, camphor and water can be used to treat them. This solution also relieves irritation caused by skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
5. A massage with sandalwood oil yields magically soft skin. Since sandalwood oil is highly effective as a softening agent, you can try adding the oil to chandan powder and leave it on your face for about 12 hours. You will be rewarded with soft, radiant skin.
6. Multani mitti mixed with sandalwood powder and rosewater can be used as a face mask for achieving flawless skin. The mask also helps to get rid of excess oil on the face.
7. Another way to get rid of suntan is by using a facemask made by mixing together sandalwood powder, potato/tomato juice, honey, cucumber and lime juice. It gives you blemish-free skin.
8. The healing properties of chandan help in reducing swelling and itchiness that result from insect bites. Mix it with lavender oil and turmeric and apply on the affected area to get instant relief. The mixture also works well as an insect repellent.
9. To prevent wrinkles and sagging skin, mix an egg yolk into sandalwood powder. Add lavender oil and honey or curd to it. Apply the thick paste and leave it for about 30 minutes. Wash with cold water. Do this regularly and keep wrinkles away.
10. Mix chandan and almond powder and add milk to it. Apply the mixture on the face and neck. It can make your skin fair and free of blemishes gradually with regular use.
Used in any form – soap, oil or powder- sandalwood is clearly the best available natural beauty tool. It suits all skin types and that is what makes it that eternal beauty tool.