Rasayana Therapy: The Path to Healthy Living
Ayurveda is a traditional system of medicine which rests on the idea of harmony of the body, the mind and the soul. Rasayana Therapy, also called Rasayana Chikitsa, is a part of Ayurveda which seeks to revive an individual’s youthful body and mind.
Over the years, Ayurveda has proved that Rasayana Therapy can help in maintaining the body’s immunity, keeping it robust and youthful.
What is Rasayana Chikitsa?
With its origins in Sanskrit, the word Rasayana means path (asana) of the liquid (rasa). In the context of therapy, it means the flow of the elixir-like liquid which rejuvenates the body. The entire procedure of performing Rasayana on a person is called Rasakriya. Let’s take a look at a few common ingredients used in Rasayana Chikitsa:
- Natural resources: Asphalt, iron, gold, pearl, silver
- Food constituents: Cow’s milk, clarified butter, honey
- Herbs & medicinal plants: Amla, nagbala, ashwagandha, harad
Forms of treatment
Rasayana Chikitsa is divided in two kinds – Kudipraveshikam and Vatatapikam.
Also called Kayakalpam, Kudipraveshikam Rasayana means being cut off from the outside world and resting all the sensory spots in the body. A significant part of the Kudipraveshikam is carried out in a specially constructed kudi (hut). Devoid of sound and light, the hut is built on elevated ground to keep away dust. The duration of Kudipraveshikam Rasayana ranges from 50 to 120 days.
Unlike the Kudipraveshikam Rasayana, Vatatapika Rasayana does not involve isolation of the individual. In fact, a person undergoing Vatatapika (which means the sun and wind treatment) lives in a spacious dwelling that is well lit and well ventilated. Other aspects remain similar to that of Kudipraveshikam. A shorter procedure than the Kudipraveshikam, Vatatapikam Rasayana Chikitsa lasts anywhere between 21 to 60 days.
Benefits of Rasayana Chikitsa
- Radiant skin
- Bringing routine into life
- Nourishing the blood system
- Improving the metabolic processes
- Helping in relieving stress, anxiety and depression
- Increasing attention span and memory power
- Rekindling spiritual and mental understanding
- Building immunity and improving the body’s natural resistance against infections.
The benefits of Rasayana Chikitsa are manifold. Most importantly, it contributes to the overall wellbeing of the body, the min, and the soul.