No more buying jars of mayonnaise from the stores. Most people think that making one’s own mayonnaise is hard and very time consuming, but it’s not.
Here is simple recipe for mayonnaise. As long as you follow the steps carefully, this recipe is fail-proof.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard or plain mustard
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine or plain vinegar
- Half a lime
- Salt to taste
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl, then add the mustard and whisk together.
- This is the only tricky part. Gradually add about half the oil, very slowly at first, whisking continuously for around 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Once you have added about half the oil, whisk in 1 tablespoon of vinegar; this will loosen the mixture slightly and give it a paler color.
- Continue to gradually add the remaining oil, whisking continuously. Season with a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lime juice and a little more vinegar, if needed. Store in a clean jar in the fridge for up to one week.
- For best results, use a food processor or mixer.
Now that you have the recipe for easy and quick mayonnaise, here are some delicious recipes using mayonnaise
- 700g potatoes
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or plain vinegar
- A small handful parsley
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes until just cooked, drain and cool.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks, then put into a bowl and add the shallots. (If available, add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped olives, capers or pickled gherkins.)
- Add enough mayonnaise to bind, then mix together the olive oil and vinegar.
- Add just enough to give a little sharpness to the salad.
- Stir in finely chopped parsley and serve.
- Take tinned tuna, chopped onions and mayonnaise and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread a generous amount of the mixture on slices of bread.
- You can also do the same with leftover chicken or boiled eggs minus the onions. You can serve this spread on a bed of lettuce, tomatoes and so on.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickled gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to infuse. Serve.
- Keeps refrigerated for up to 4 days
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, and minced onion.
- Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots.
- In a smaller bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Toss dressing into cabbage mixture and let chill. Ideally served as a side dish to fried food like fried, breadcrumb coated, chicken and fish.