Look Great, Feel Great!
Here are some tips to look well-groomed at the workplace
In today’s frenetic, competitive world where time is at a premium, fashion consciousness at the workplace is on the rise. While looks per se may not tip the scales in your favor, looking well-groomed and neat most certainly does earn you brownie points. However, with time being in short supply, many working people wonder where to find time to follow a beauty routine. Don’t despair – every one of us can follow these simple tips and come out looking and feeling on top of the world.
Tame your mane
Today, there is a wide range of shampoos to suit any kind of hair – oily, dry, and normal. Each person’s hair is unique and choosing the right kind of shampoo is very important.
- If you are unsure of your hair type, consult professionals who will guide you on the right shampoo for your hair.
- Conditioning hair is important. However, conditioner needs to be applied on the middle and ends of the hair, not on the scalp. Leave the conditioner on for three to five minutes before washing it off.
- Using styling products is not harmful for the hair. It is the residue that damages the hair. A good cleansing routine is essential.
The fundamentals of maintaining a good skin are cleansing, moisturizing and toning. If you do it sincerely every day, good skin is a definite.
- People with dry skin should use moisturizer daily.
- Toning is essential for oily and combination skin (where the T-zone, i.e. forehead and nose, are oily). Otherwise the skin is prone to break out with whiteheads and blackheads.
- Use a face scrub at least twice a week. It clears clogged pores and removes tiny whiteheads. For a simple homemade scrub, soak oats in milk for 15-20 minutes and then use it as a scrub. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Avoid pinching whiteheads and blackheads. They can become infected and leave marks on your skin.
- When using night cream, leave it on for half an hour and then wipe off the excess cream with tissue or a soft cloth. Otherwise, it could clog your pores.
- A face pack for oily skin, acne and pimples – crush mint and mix the juice with gram flour or kaolin. You could also add a drop of clove oil. Apply it as a thin pack; once it dries, pat with wet cotton and remove.
- It’s very important to take care of your neck, massage it daily with moisturizer. The neck is one of the first areas to show signs of age.
Don’t neglect your hands and feet
Neatly manicured hands and feet are important for creating a good impression.
- You could choose between square-tipped, oval or pointed nails.
- Treat yourself to a professional manicure and pedicure regularly.
- Use a scrub made of green gram paste on your feet and hands.
- For women, French manicures are a great option – they look classy and elegant.
Looking good is not enough! In India’s tropical climes, it is essential to use a deodorant – either a roll-on or a spray. Dab on some light perfume or aftershave; nothing cloying though – you don’t want to suffocate your colleagues!
Looking good is not just about beauty treatment; it extends to how you take care of your appearance at the workplace.
- Ideally, women should stick to light make-up – base and foundation, translucent powder and kohl in their eyes. Pastel shades of lipstick look best in the daytime.
- Men should either be clean-shaven, which means shaving every day, not every alternate day! Alternately, a neatly trimmed moustache and beard give off the right signals.