How to Jazz Up a Dull Corner
How often do you find some corners in your home that seem to cry out for attention? Here are some simple inexpensive ideas that can help transform those neglected corners into a conversational piece.
Corners at the entrance:
- Odd-shaped areas at the entrance can be livened up by the clever use of mirrors. Ensure they are not hung exactly opposite the front door (according to the principles of Feng Shui).
- A console table with a striking crystal bowl or a shiny brass pot with freshly-cut flowers or dried flower arrangements add a welcome touch as one walks into the home.
- Bright paintings and rugs can add color. Rugs can be rolled out only when expecting guests as they tend to get dusty and fade very quickly.
- A rich-colored paint applied on a feature wall makes an interesting play of light in the room.
Corners under staircases:
- These bare awkward corners can be transformed with a collection of houseplants grouped around say a Buddha or a statute set atop a low table.
- Ensure the houseplants are a variety that do not require too much natural light.
- If the table is long, one can use the space to display a collection of knick-knacks, colored stones or interesting seashells.
- It’s an ideal spot to hang some small paintings as well.
- In the evenings, you could light up the area with a small table lamp or a hanging lamp.
Corners by a window:
- These are ideal for an intimate seating area with two chairs and a table. Mirrorwork cushion covers or plain silk cushion covers would add a touch of elegance.
- A simple inexpensive yet rich wall hanging can be fashioned by framing a portion of an old silk kanjeevaram or Benares sari.
- Here, again, a collection of houseplants can create a wonderful atmosphere.
All of us have an innate ability to do up our homes in a style that suits our tastes and budget. While decorating one’s house it is important to keep in mind that:
* Less is always more.
* Choose neutral colors for upholstery to allow for one’s collection of bric-a-brac, antiques and paintings to easily blend in.