The onus of carrying the weight of a busy life falls literally on our feet. So of course, they deserve a little pampering and their very own spa treatment.
Tired feet, sore feet or cracked feet are all a result of the hardships of the routinely demanding lives we lead. Whether it is cooking, shopping, running to and from school to pick up kids, rushing about with reports or for meetings in the office or spending long hours in queues, we drive our feet to exhaustion. So they rightfully deserve a huge amount of pampering which you can do with a foot spa. If you feel that the going rates for foot spa treatments are astronomical or if you simply cannot muster up the energy to make the trip to your nearest spa, look at creating it in the comfort of your own home. You can choose your favorite corner, surround yourself with your favorite music or catch your favorite flick while relaxing with a foot spa.
Creating your own foot spa at home is easy if you follow the following steps:
1. Get the water and oils ready: Set water to warm. Select the oil you want to put into it. You have the following choices:
- Lavender oil has a soothing effect.
- Peppermint oil revives feet.
- Almond oil makes feet soft. You can also add milk or milk powder to this for extra softness.
- Epsom salt or baking powder is good for swollen feet.
Once you have selected the type of oil you want, pour the warm water into a tub and add a few drops of the oil.
2. Soak: Soak your feet into the tub of water and relax for at least 15 minutes. The oil will penetrate into your feet and the warm water will soothe and relax them.
3. Dry thoroughly: Once you have removed your feet from the tub, dry them thoroughly. Dry the toes and the nails well too. Use a soft, clean towel.
4. Clean and trim: Clip and trim your toenails with the help of nail clippers. Use a nail brush to remove any dirt under the nails. You can clean your cuticles too as they will be soft and pliant with the water soak.
5. Exfoliate: Use exfoliate made with aloe vera gel, salts, oats and a spoon of body oil, preferably scented. Or you can make a foot scrub with a seasonal fruit mashed with sugar added. The minerals and vitamins in the fruit will replenish the skin while the sugar acts as exfoliate. As you rub, feel for any cracks, corns or calluses that may need extra attention. Do not let these conditions go unheeded; give them proper treatment or they could get painful and impede walking. Rub off extra skin or roughness on the sides or bottom with a handheld rubber that has a rough surface or with a pumice stone.
6. Wash off exfoliate: Once you are done with the exfoliation, rub off the application and wash your feet with the water you used for soaking.
7. Foot pack: This step is the one that takes a foot spa a notch higher than a pedicure. Once your feet are clean and fresh, apply a foot pack. You can apply a pack of milk, oatmeal and honey. This will nourish and soothe your skin. Or you can use a pack made with mashed fruits, turmeric and honey. Allow the pack to dry for about 20 minutes. After the pack dries up wash with warm water and dry off.
8. Massage: Using a rich cream or balm, massage your feet. You can even use olive or almond oil. This will leave your feet moisturized. Pamper your feet by applying pressure at the points which feel tired like the heels and toes and notice the stress seep out. The nerve endings are stimulated and blood circulation increases. Your feet will also turn soft and fragrant.
9. Groom: Now you can cap your effort with the final touches like grooming and painting your nails. If you prefer long nails, you can shape them with a nail file. Rub off the extra cream from the toenail area with a ball of cotton. Apply a basecoat before proceeding to paint your toenails with your favorite nail color. Paint two coats for a better and lasting effect. Wait for at least 45 minutes before you use shoes or closed toe footwear.
A foot spa at home can be very relaxing and something to look forward to after a tiring day. The best thing about a home foot spa is that you can do it any time you feel like it. Indulge yourself regularly. It is a good idea to save the indulgence for bedtime. You will have a relaxed sleep relaxed and the foot spa will prep your feet overnight.