Healthy Breakfast Options
Nothing like a healthy breakfast to kick-start your day. We at iJugaad give you some great breakfast options to keep you energetic all day.
- 200 grams mushrooms
- 100 grams spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof medium-size skillet on medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook till they start to shrink and sweat. Add salt, pepper and garlic and cook till there is no longer that raw garlic smell. Add and cook spinach till it begins to wilt. Raise the heat and sauté the vegetables till the liquid evaporates. Add the parmesan. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, salt, pepper and milk together and add to the mushroom mix.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the egg mix. Swirl the mixture around the pan till it’s all evenly spread. Lift the edges slightly with a rubber spatula to ensure that the frittata comes out easily when it’s done. Once the egg at the bottom is no longer wet, lower the heat, cover the lid and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes all the while shaking the pan so the egg does not stick to the pan and the bottom does not burn.
- Once the top has set, take the skillet out and place in an oven preheated to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for a few minutes till the top is golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
This is a wholesome meal that keeps you going till lunchtime. Make it sweet or savory depending on your need for that day. This versatile, power-packed meal is the perfect healthy substitute to calorie-ridden pancakes, waffles and so on. a) Oatmeal with Cranberries, Pistachios and Honey
- Prepare the oats and add the dry fruits and drizzle with honey.
- Make a quick salsa with chopped tomatoes, chili, onions, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Top the oats with the salsa and chopped avocado. To add a little more zing, fry an egg and top the oats with it.
- Cook the apples in some sugar and cinnamon till the fruit is soft but still has come texture.
- Roast walnuts in an oven and add to prepared oats.
- Cut potato into ¼ inch slice and toast in a toaster till a fork goes through the slice. Alternatively, bake the slices, drizzled with olive oil, in an oven at 190 degrees Celsius. Bake till tender.
- Top the slices with toppings of your choice.
- Grate cauliflower and mix together with a beaten egg and salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a pan and add the egg mixture. As it cooks, shape it into a large patty. Cook until golden at the bottom and carefully flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Top with a fried egg, cheese, salsa, guacamole and more.
- Convert this into a pizza by topping this with readymade pizza sauce, cheese, veggies and meat.
- 2 cups oats
- ½ cup raw nuts like almonds, walnuts, cashews
- ¼ cup raw seeds, chopped (sunflower, flax or pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup dried fruit, chopped (cranberries, raisins, currants)
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the ingredients well, making sure all the dry ingredients are coated in the oil and honey/maple syrup.
- Spread mixture on a baking sheet or parchment and bake for 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Cool and place in an airtight container.
- Slice a banana in half or in pieces and place in a bowl.
- Top with dollops of Greek yogurt sweetened with honey.
- Drizzle a little more honey or maple syrup or fruit coulis on top.
- For that crunch, sprinkle a generous amount of nuts or homemade granola.
- This is the easiest breakfast to whip up.
- Cut a mixture of seasonal fruits and top with honey-sweetened yogurt and nuts and/or granola.
- Prepare quinoa as per the instructions on the packet. To add more flavor, cook the quinoa in a chicken or vegetable broth instead of seasoned water.
- For a Mediterranean twist, add vegetables grilled in olive oil, cloves of garlic and onions.
- Another option would be to add some mint, pomegranate, olives and an olive oil and lime dressing.
- Make a sweet version with fruit and honey