Enrich your body, mind and soul
Meditation is a holistic path to a better life
More than anything else, in these stress-filled days, we aspire for peace of mind, and some quiet time to ourselves when we can forget the stresses and strains of everyday living. Many of us also look to finding a deeper meaning in life – a spiritual anchor to help ground us and instill richer values within. The rat race, pursuit of goals and even the chasing of wealth are paths fraught with tension; is there something more meaningful, something that can enrich us and help us?
Many people find the answers to these soul-searching questions in meditation. Today, research has revealed that mediation can contribute significantly to an individual’s psychological and physiological wellbeing. This is because it brings the brainwave pattern into an alpha state, which is a level of consciousness that advances the healing state. Neuroscientists have found that people who meditate were calmer and happier than before. There are many benefits to meditation:
- Meditation brings about deep rest by decreasing the metabolic rate, lowering the heart rate, and reducing the workload of the heart.
- Through meditation, the levels of cortisol and lactate – two chemicals associated with stress – are lowered. This leads to deeper levels of relaxation and less worry
- It improves exercise tolerance in heart patients because by meditating, the free radicals (unstable oxygen molecules that can trigger off tissue damage) in our body decrease.
- Regular meditation can significantly reduce high blood pressure.
- It also causes a drop in cholesterol levels.
- There is an enhanced flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing. This is very useful for asthma patients.
- It even slows down the ageing process. Stress hastens the aging process. By meditating you cut down your levels of stress which, in turn, has a positive upshot for your health.
- It boosts serotonin production, which influences mood and behavior. Low levels of serotonin are linked with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches.
- It decreases muscle tension (any pain due to strain) and headaches.
- In hospitals, it has helped in post-operative healing.
- Meditation boosts the immune system. Research shows that meditation increases the activity of ‘natural-killer cells’, which destroy bacteria and cancer cells.
- People who meditate find that they are much more creative
- It helps significantly in reducing anxiety and easing depression. It also leads to less irritability and moodiness.
- It has been shown to improve learning ability and memory.
- Those who meditate have been shown to have increased self-actualization.
- It makes you happier; you feel more alive and refreshed.
- Since meditation helps in calming you down, it helps you develop emotional stability.
- The longer one practices meditation the greater the chances of heightened personal and spiritual growth.
- The awareness that meditation creates can be a source of personal insight and self-understanding.
- Practicing meditation leads to increased mindfulness in everyday life, making your life richer and more meaningful.