Proceed to have your cup of tomato soup with nary a thought of guilt as it is rich in lycopene, minerals and vitamins and helps fight the ageing process!
Tomato soups are a favorite in most households. With one basic ingredient, it is possible to churn out yummy soup relished by young and old alike. I have vivid memories of train journeys during my childhood, sipping on the most delicious tomato soup, while chugging along and enjoying the unfolding vistas of India’s rural landscape.
Tomatoes – 2 cups
Onions – ½ cup Chopped
Garlic – 1 tsp chopped
Salt & Pepper- to taste
Butter – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves – a few sprigs
Croutons – to garnish
- Pressure cook the tomatoes, onions and garlic with 3 cups of water for 15 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool and blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Heat the butter in a cooking pot and add the pureed mixture to it.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Tip: To make croutons, deep fry bread cubes in hot oil till crisp and brown and sprinkle on top.
Butter – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1, coarsely chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, sliced
Tinned tomatoes – 2 14-ounce cans
Water – 1 & ½ cups
Cream – 1/2 cup
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and water.
- Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Puree when cool.
- Heat again on a low flame, slowly drizzling the cream over.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Serve either hot or cold.
Carrots – 2, sliced
Celery – 2 sticks, finely sliced
Onions – 2, finely chopped, sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves, sliced
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Chicken stock cubes – 2
Tomatoes – 800 gm, finely chopped
Basil leaves – a bunch, roughly chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté until brown.
- Add the celery and carrots.
- Crumble the stock cubes in a vessel, covering it with a liter of boiling water. Stir well until no lumps remain. Add to the vegetables along with the chopped tomatoes.
- Boil the vegetables for ten minutes.
- Cover and simmer for another ten minutes.
- Remove the pan from the fire. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil leaves.
- When cool, blend in the liquidizer.
- Serve cold or hot.
Large tomatoes – 1 kilo, deseeded & chopped
Bread – 4 cups, cut into ½ inch pieces
Red bell pepper – 1 deseeded & diced
Cucumber – 1 peeled & chopped
Onion – 1 chopped
Sherry wine vinegar – ¼ cup
Garlic – 1 clove, minced
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Paprika – ½ tsp
Water – 1 cup
- Mix all the ingredients except water in a large glass bowl.
- Leave it for an hour.
- Add one cup of water to the mixture and blend in a food processor in batches.
- Strain the gazpacho using a large strainer set over a large bowl.
- Chill the clear fluid after seasoning it with salt and pepper.
- Serve cold.
Olive oil – 3 tbsp
Onions – 2 chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves chopped
Tomatoes – 150 gm chopped
Chicken stock – 4 cups
Salt & pepper – to taste
Cream – 1 cup
Basil – 1 bunch
Cheese – 2 tbsp grated to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pan. When hot, add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and fry for a minute.
- At this stage, add the tomatoes and fry for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring it to boil, then leave it to simmer covered for about 15 minutes.
- After the mixture has cooled down, blend it well. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Return the mixture to the pot, add the cream and basil and let it simmer until it thickens.
- Serve with a topping of cheese.