The Best Natural Remedies for Acne
When acne raises its ugly head, don’t turn to harsh chemicals or pop them, because your skin will be ravaged and could develop permanent scars. Hormones running riot lead to overproduction of sebum that clog your pores. Combined with bacteria this may lead to acne. Use these time-tested and reliable home remedies to get rid of acne.
Treasures in the kitchen alcove
- Flavonoids and vitamin C in lemon have strong antioxidant and antibiotic properties. Dab a little extract from a fresh lemon directly on the pimples, leave overnight and wash off the next morning. An orange peel mask gives the same effect.
- For a single pimple, remove skin and rub a garlic pod directly over it. Grind a few garlic pods and apply on the acne or mix a teaspoon of yogurt and use as a face pack. Wash off after sometime.
- Tomatoes have Vitamin C and acidic properties that help in treating acne. Apply tomato pulp on the area affected by acne. If your skin is sensitive, dilute the pulp with water. Repeat twice a day.
- Cinnamon has anti-microbial properties and, combined with honey, is an effective remedy for acne. Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder and dab it on each pimple. Leave it overnight and wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat for a few days.
- Fenugreek helps remove blackheads and prevents eruption of acne. Make a paste of methi leaves with water and apply it on the area affected by acne at night. Wash off with warm water the next morning.
- Neem leaves can be dried in the sun and made into a fine powder. Take equal quantities of this powder, turmeric power and rose water and make a paste. Apply on pimples and wash your face after 20 minutes.
- Use turmeric packs for radiant skin. Crush a handful of coriander leaves and extract the juice. Mix with a pinch of turmeric powder and apply on the face every night.
- A paste of baking soda in water or a mix of 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, 5 tablespoons honey and juice of half a lemon are good for treating acne. Apply and leave on for five minutes. Wash off.
- Face masks with Fuller’s earth or multani mitti once a week is another helpful treatment.
- Mix a cup of cooked oatmeal with 1teaspoon honey and juice of half a lemon. Leave on your skin for 30 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. Repeat once or twice a week.
- Tea tree oil, egg whites, apple cider vinegar, white toothpaste, aloe vera gel, basil or tulsi and raw papaya are all excellent home remedies for acne.
Drink plenty of water.
Fruits and vegetables must be a large part of your daily diet.
Exfoliation and regular cleansing keeps your face radiant and acne-free.
Steam your face regularly.
Avoid unhealthy foods and eating habits.
Follow an active, stress-free lifestyle.
Remember to use a moisturizer after home treatment for acne.