Hair masks help nourish the scalp and hair roots, keeping your hair healthy and lustrous. Natural homemade hair masks are inexpensive, free from harsh chemicals that can damage your hair and skin, easy to make and inexpensive too.
Homemade hair masks can be made with ingredients available in your kitchen alcove. Before you embark on this new and exciting enterprise, first determine your hair type and go about mixing the right potion for dressing your tresses!
- Dry and damaged hair, especially with split ends, is a cause of misery for many of us. To address this issue, try making a hair mask with egg and yogurt or milk. This concoction is high in protein, promotes hair growth and strengthens hair roots. It also adds a shine to your mane and the potassium in the mask heals damaged hair. It is rich in vitamins A, D, B12 and has calcium, zinc and lactic acid, all good for the hair.
- To make this hair mask, separate the white and the yolk of one or two eggs and use the egg whites for oily hair, the yolk if your hair is dry and brittle and the whole egg for normal or combination hair. Mix a cup of yogurt or milk, two tablespoons of olive oil and the extract of one lemon. Whisk the mask thoroughly, if possible with an egg beater, and massage this into your scalp starting from the roots to the hair ends. Cover with a shower cap and allow the mask to sit for 15 minutes. Use a mild fruit shampoo and wash off. Remember not to use hot water because the egg in the mask will get cooked and stick to your hair strands. Repeat once a week.
- Banana and honey hair masks work wonders on hair breakage and split ends, moisturizing and strengthening the hair. Banana is rich in vitamins A, E and C and micronutrients like potassium and iron. In combination with honey, which is rich in vitamins and minerals, this mask heals and nourishes your hair.
- For the banana and honey mask, blend two ripened bananas well and mix in one tablespoon each of coconut oil, olive oil and honey. Apply the mask to your scalp and hair. Cover with a shower cap for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and use a mild shampoo, taking care to wash off the banana chunks completely.
- Yet another hair mask for dry and brittle hair is one made with avocado, which is known for its hydrating as well as nourishing properties. Moreover, it contains vitamin E and protein and is an antibacterial agent that protects the scalp. Blend the pulp of a ripe avocado into a smooth and creamy paste and mix one tablespoon of olive or almond oil as well as one-fourth cup of milk. Massage your scalp with this mask and also apply on your hair. Cover with a shower cap for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water removing the avocado residue diligently. Use a mild shampoo. You can avoid a conditioner as avocado has conditioning properties.
- Dry and damaged hair can also be handled using a coconut oil hair mask as it contains saturated fats, Vitamins E and D, iron as well as lauric acid. Mix warm coconut oil and olive oil in the ratio of 2:1 and massage your scalp well with this mask and leave it on for about a half hour and rinse with warm water and a mild shampoo. You can also leave this mask overnight for better results.
- An avocado and egg yolk hair mask works well in winters. Mix half an avocado and two egg yolks, applying on wet hair and sit for about 20 minutes. Wash off.
- A strawberry hair mask will remove oil from your hair, making your tresses glossy and healthy. Vitamin C in the strawberry not only adds shine but also regulates oil production. Make a strawberry mask mixing six to seven fresh and ripe strawberries. Add a tablespoon each of honey and coconut oil and blend to make a smooth puree. Apply this mask on damp hair, beginning from the roots till the hair ends. Sit for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. You may not need a shampoo to wash it off.
- Yogurt makes a good hair mask as it is enriched with protein, calcium, antioxidants and vitamins. It is a natural moisturizing agent and also helps remove excess oil from the scalp. For oily or combination hair a yogurt hair mask is effective.
- Make a yogurt hair mask using half a cup of well-beaten yogurt and one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey. Massage your scalp and apply the mask till the tips of your hair. Rinse off with warm water after 15 minutes and wash with a mild fruit shampoo.
- For dull, dry and damaged hair, you can add unflavored gelatin or glycerin mixed in water to the hair mask preparation. Mayonnaise provides moisture and helps repair dry hair. You can add a little mayonnaise to your hair mask for dry hair.
- If you are preparing a hair mask for oily hair, you can add a little baking soda or lemon juice to the hair mask you are making for added effect.