8 Easy Snacks for Your Christmas party
Some easy starters to rock your party this holiday season
1.Pineapple and cheese sticks
- Cheddar cheese cut into ½ inch cubes
- Tinned pineapple cut into ½ inch cubes
- Place the cube of cheese on the pineapple piece and skewer with a toothpick.
- The bite-size pieces can be arranged on a platter or stuck on a cabbage.
2.Sundried Tomato and Cream Cheese Canapes
- A bottle of sundried tomatoes in oil
- A tub of cream cheese (250 gms)
- Monaco biscuits
- Arrange a slice of sun-dried tomato on each biscuit.
- Top it with a tsp of cream cheese.
- Garnish with a sprig of parsley or coriander.
- Serve on a decorative platter.
3.Mayo, Tomato and Onion Toasties
- One loaf of bread
- 3 chopped onions
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 3 green chilies chopped
- A bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- A bottle of mayonnaise
- Combine the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chili, coriander leaves and mayo in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread each slice of bread liberally with the mixture.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 15 mins or until golden brown.
- Cut each slice into four pieces and serve hot.
4.Hummus Dip with Toasted Pita Bread
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas (reserve the liquid and a few chickpeas for decoration)
- 4 tsp tahina (available in specialty stores )
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 3½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Paprika (optional)
- Rinse the chickpeas in cold water and tip into the food processor.
- Add the tahina, crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice and seven tablespoons of the reserved liquid from the cans.
- Blend in the food processor and slowly pour in the oil.
- When the mixture is fully combined and smooth, spoon into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with some more extra virgin olive oil and decorate with a few whole chickpeas.
- Sprinkle with paprika and finely chopped coriander or parsley leaves, for color.
- Serve with toasted pita bread triangles or bread bites.
- Pork or chicken sausages
- Ready-made puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Lay each sausage on a piece of puff pastry.
- Roll and fold the pastry around the sausage.
- Brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
- Using a fork, seal the edges and trim any excess pastry.
- Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
These cutlets are flavored with oriental spices.
- 400 gms chicken mince
- Two bunches spring onions
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 red chili seeded and chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 slice of bread crumbled fine.
- Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- Oil for shallow frying
- Finely chop the spring onion and the coriander. Mix in a bowl with the spices, chili, celery and the bread crumbs. Add the mince and mix well by hand.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into flat cakes
- Shallow fry until golden brown and cooked through.
7.Fish Tempura with Garlic Dip
For the Fish Tempura
- 500 gms firm white fish fillet
- 180 gms plain flour
- 80 gms corn flour
- 350 ml soda water
- Oil to deep fry
For the dip
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
To serve, combine all ingredients.
- Cut the fish into bite-size strips.
- Add the flours to a bowl.
- Stir in the soda water to make a light batter.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Dip the fish into the batter and deep fry until golden brown, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
8.Chilli Chicken Bites
- ½ kg boneless chicken cut into bite-size pieces.
- ½ cup curd
- 4 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- A few drops of red coloring (optional)
- Salt to be added only if necessary
- Finely chopped spring onion greens for decoration.
- Chicken to be marinade for 2 hours with the above-mentioned ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the chicken in it.
- Cover with a lid and cook until done.
- Serve the bite-size pieces of chicken skewered with toothpicks on a platter.
- Garnish with some finely chopped spring onion greens.