6 Reasons Why Fish is Good for You
A high-protein, low-fat food, fish is the best source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Loaded with important nutrients, fish is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.
Omega-3 fatty acids help maintain the cardiovascular system by regulating blood clotting and vessel constriction. They are also important for neurological development in prenatal and postpartum cases. Fish that are high in Omega-3 are fatty types of fish – salmon, trout, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, tuna and sablefish.
Let’s take a look at some benefits of eating fish:
- Considered one of the best foods you can eat for a healthy heart, regular consumption of fish decreases the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Omega-3 is vital for development of the eye and brain. Expectant and nursing mothers are advised to eat fish; however, they need to be aware that they should avoid raw and uncooked fish. Some fish are high in mercury so pregnant women are advised to eat up to 340 gms of fish a week. They can eat fish that are low on the food chain, like sardines, trout and salmon.
- Research shows that people who eat more fish have slower rates of cognitive decline. Cognitive decline is linked to grey matter in the brain. Consumption of fish increases said grey matter, therefore protecting it from age-related decay.
- Regular consumption of fish is also linked to the reduction of the risk of autoimmune diabetes in adults, and lowered risk of asthma and Type 1 diabetes in children.
- Old age macular degeneration is a major cause of vision impairment. Research shows that Omega-3 fatty acids present in fish provides protection against this disease.
- There exists evidence that eating fatty fish like salmon actually helps improve a person’s sleep cycle. This change is brought about by Vitamin D present in salmon. In fact, fish is considered the only ‘good’ dietary source of Vitamin D.
As you can see, there are quite a few benefits of eating fish. Considering that fish is tasty and rather easy to prepare, it should be a piece of cake to incorporate it into your daily meals. Eat healthy and live healthy.