5 Ways to Make Trifle Pudding
The much-loved trifle pudding does not require much effort and can be assembled in a jiffy!
Instead of sticking to the tried and tested method, you could try out other variations too.
1.Basic English Trifle
- 450 gms sponge cake
- One tin canned fruit (450 gms)
- Custard made with 2 tbsp custard powder/half liter milk/2 tbsp sugar
- One packet strawberry jelly set in the fridge in advance
- 1& ½ cups whipping cream
- Line an oval or rectangular bowl with a layer of cake cut into fingers.
- Moisten the cake with the liquid from the tinned fruit.
- Cover with fruit.
- Top with the custard made by following the instructions on the custard tin.
- Cover the custard with the set jelly breaking it up slightly to cover the custard layer.
- Finally beat the whipping cream to soft peaks and spread neatly over. Alternatively, use an icing bag to decorate with stars.
- 175 gms sponge cake cubes
- 4 tbsp medium sherry
- 100 gms strawberry jam
- 1 & ½ cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups custard
- 1 & ½ cups whipping cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Toasted flaked almonds to decorate
- Spread half the sponge cubes over the bottom of a large, glass serving bowl.
- Sprinkle half the sherry over the cake to moisten it.
- Spoon over half the jam evenly over the cake cubes.
- Reserve a few of the strawberries for decoration. Make a layer of half the strawberries on top.
- Pour over half the custard covering the cake and fruit.
- Repeat the layers.
- Before serving, whip the cream with the icing sugar until it forms soft peaks and spoon the cream over the top of the custard. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
3.Banana Toffee Trifle
- 6 bananas
- 450 gms cake cut into cubes
- 100 gms butter
- 100 gms soft brown sugar
- One tin condensed milk
- 1 & ½ cups whipping cream
- 150 gms grated milk chocolate for decoration
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a non-stick saucepan over a low flame, stirring all the time until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the condensed milk and bring to a rapid boil for about a minute, stirring all the time for a thick golden caramel.
- Place the cake cubes at the bottom of a glass dish.
- Place the sliced banana on the top of the cake.
- Pour the cooled caramel over the banana.
- Whip the cream and pour it over the caramel.
- Decorate with the grated chocolate.
4.Chocolate Cherry Trifle
- 300 gms chocolate cake
- ½ cup black cherry jam
- ½ cup brandy
- 2 cups bottled dark cherries
- 1 cup milk
- 300 ml thick cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 100 gms dark chocolate chopped
For the topping
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 100 gms grated chocolate
- Combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan.
- Add vanilla to milk mixture. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hot (do not boil). Remove saucepan from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a large heatproof bowl until combined. Gradually pour the hot milk mixture over the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Add chocolate.
- Heat over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until custard starts to bubble and coats the back of the spoon.
- Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, line the glass bowl with the chocolate cake. Sprinkle the brandy over.
- Spread the cherry jam on top.
- Arrange the cherries on the cake (keep aside a few for the topping) and pour the cooled chocolate custard over.
- Whip the cream and spread over and decorate with grated chocolate and a few of the reserved cherries.
5.Carrot Cake /Pineapple and Cream Cheese Trifle
- 200 gms cream cheese
- 300 gms carrot cake
- 3 & ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can pineapple chunks (450 gms)
- Cut the carrot cake into cubes and line the bottom of a decorative glass dish.
- Open the can of pineapple, drain the pieces, reserving the juice to soak the cake.
- Chop the pineapple pieces into cubes and spread over the soaked cake.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth with the sugar and vanilla essence.
- Spread the cream cheese over the cake and pineapple.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnut over the top.