5 Ways to Develop Healthy Eating Habits
Develop proper eating habits is a must to live healthy. The right eating habits also help with weight loss
Every New Year, we make resolutions. To eat healthy, to give up bad habits, to exercise, to think positive… the list is endless. Making resolutions is very easy – the hard part is seeing them through. In most cases, the initial enthusiasm dies down after few days and then we struggle to fulfill those resolutions.
The resolution to eat healthy is very difficult to keep up as we are surrounded by unhealthy food everywhere. Still one can develop healthy eating habits by following these simple tips:
- Eat small, balanced meals: The first healthy eating habit everyone must develop is to eat a well-balanced meal. Ideally, 5-6 meals comprising breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2-3 snacks is a must for a single day. One should also eat smaller portions as it will help with digestion. The three meals of the day should include grains, starch, a vegetable, fruit and off-course protein.
- Avoid artificial foods: Another important healthy habit one must develop is keep artificial food and flavors at bay. Your diet must include fresh and real food like vegetables, fruits, lean meat, nuts, low-fat dairy, rice, whole grains and bread. Processed foods are certainly not recommended as they contain junk calories and are extremely unhealthy.
- Go green: Include lots of vegetables (green, leafy ones are a must) in your diet as they are a good source of fiber, protein and water. Ideally, you should consume tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and zucchini on a daily basis to feel healthy and energetic.
- Never skip breakfast: Make it a point to have breakfast every morning. It is the first meal of the day and should not be missed. A healthy, heavy breakfast gives you energy to face the day ahead. Skipping breakfast will leave you fatigued, just when the day has begun.
- Count portions and calories: Last, but not the least, it always helps to know exactly how much we are consuming and the calories it contains. It is a good habit to read labels, measure servings carefully and eat in small portions. This is very useful for people trying to lose weight.
Making a resolution is rather easy, seeing it through is not. Being practical about your weight goals will help you achieve what you set out to do at the beginning of the year. Staying motivated and on track helps.