Peanut butter has got to be one of the most universally loved comfort foods! Take heart in the fact that it is also extremely healthy!
A slice of brown bread toast spread with a thick layer of peanut butter is what I yearn for when hungry. Packed with proteins, it is said to be great for weight loss, diabetes and helps prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. Before you reach out for that tempting display of peanut butter teamed with strawberry jelly, grape jelly or honey jelly – stop right there! It’s only the normal smooth or chunky peanut butter that is good for you. Peanut butter is extremely versatile and lends itself perfectly to a marinade, salad or dessert.
1.Breakfast Oatmeal with Peanut Butter
(Put together at night for a healthy breakfast at the start of a hectic day)
- Oats – 1/2 cup
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup
- Blueberries (frozen) – 1/4 cup
- Peanut butter – 2 tbsps
- Milk – 1 &1/2 cups
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- In a large jar, place the oats at the bottom.
- Start layering the jar with walnuts, peanut butter and then blueberries.
- Pour the milk over the mixture.
- Drizzle the honey over this.
- Cap the jar and leave the mixture in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, scoop out the mixture into a serving bowl or have it straigt from the jar!
Tip: Those with lactose intolerance can substitute milk with soya milk or almond milk.
2.Peanut Butter Smoothie
- In a blender combine all the ingredients until frothy and smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and serve.
3.Peanut Butter Salad Dressing
- Peanut butter – 2 tbsp
- Soya sauce – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Ginger, grated – ½ inch piece
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Peanuts – a handful(roasted)
- Coriander leaves – for decoration
- Mix all the ingredients except the peanuts to a smooth paste.
- Add the peanuts.
- Use this dressing on a salad of your choice.
Tip: This dressing can be used with a mix of salad leaves/chopped carrots, celery and cucumber/cooked pasta or any combination of your choice.
4.Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine all 3 ingredients with a hand whisk until smooth.
- Drop dough with a spoon onto the baking tray.
- Bake for about 8 minutes until the cookies are a light shade of brown.
5.Peanut Butter Squares
- Brown sugar – 50 gms
- Icing sugar – 200 gms
- Unsalted butter – 50 gms
- Peanut butter – 200 gms
- Milk chocolate – 400 gms
- Unsalted butter – 1 tbsp
- Mix the sugar, butter and peanut butter in a bowl.
- Press the mixture into a 23cm baking tray.
- Melt the chocolate and unsalted butter in a microwave.
- Spread this mixture over the base.
- Leave in the fridge to set.
- After a few hours, cut into squares and serve.