Besan is a beauty remedy on your grandma’s list and for good reason. Today, top beauticians rely on this South Asian staple for their skin regime, and these facials can be prepared at home just as easily.
Known in English as gram flour, besan is a popular ingredient in many South Asian cuisines. But its true worth lies in its being the oldest beauty hack. Everyone loves laddus and pakoras but besan isn’t just used to make your favorite snacks. Using a few ingredients from your kitchen, you can whip up facials for particular skin types and even for specific skin problems – from acne cleansing to tan removal, or even to perk up your skin before a big event.
Convinced of its abilities yet? There are many ways to use besan as a facial but we’ve narrowed down the five packs that are most effective, each with its own purpose.
- Facial for oily skin: Mix two tablespoons of besan with four tablespoons of rosewater to make a smooth paste. Keep it on for 20 minutes and after it dries, wash with cool water.
- Facial for dry skin: Blend half a ripe banana, a tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of besan for an easy, hydrating facial. Let it set for 20 minutes and then clean it with lukewarm water.
- Acne cleansing facial: What’s the easiest way to rid acne? Mix one tablespoon of warm honey and two tablespoons of besan and apply. After it dries, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Tan removal facial: Mix four powdered almonds, one tablespoon of milk, and half a teaspoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of besan. If the mixture seems too thick, add more milk. Allow the facial to set for 30 minutes on your skin before you wash it off with cool water.
- Glowing skin facial: To two tablespoons of besan, add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and one teaspoon of olive oil. Add two tablespoons of water and mix till smooth. Let the mask set for 20 minutes and gently remove it with cold water.
We still can’t get over how unbelievably easy it is to get better, fresher skin. Have you tried any of these besan facials yet? Do you know any other besan packs that have proved effective? Tell us below!