A very versatile fruit, pineapples are available at your local fruit market all through the year. While some like it juiced, others like it in their desserts and a few others love it in a savory dish. Here is what you can cook up with some pineapple in hand.
Pineapples add a vibrant, tropical flavor to almost all kinds of recipes. Read on for the five most delicious recipes which include this spiky fruit. They are guaranteed to take you to a delicious paradise.
1.Piña Colada Pie
Fly into the tropics in layers of pineapple and whipped cream with a graham cracker crust.
- Finely crushed graham crackers – 700 grams
- Melted butter – 12 tablespoons
- Crushed pineapple – 850 grams
- Heavy cream – 450 grams
- Softened cream cheese – 230 grams
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Unsweetened and toasted coconut flakes – 110 grams
1.Form the cracker layer by mixing the graham cracker crumbs with butter.
2. In a saucepan, heat the crushed pineapple over medium heat until it gets to a jam-like consistency (15 minutes).
3. To make the cream layer, beat heavy cream in a mixer until stiff peaks form. Add in softened cream cheese and sugar.
4. Layer four mason jars with the graham cracker mix to form the base layer. Alternate with layers of pineapple and cream till the top of the jar.
5. Garnish with toasted coconut.
2.Soft Pineapple Crumble Bars
Soft and sweet pineapple bars for that perfect, anytime treat.
- Softened, unsalted butter – ½ cup
- Flour – 1¼ cup
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Egg – 1
- Sour cream – ⅓ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1½ teaspoons
- Pineapple chunks – 570 grams
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Line an 8×8 inch pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix butter, 1 cup flour, ½ cup sugar, and salt (to taste). Blend the butter into the dry ingredients until a sandy mixture is formed. Keep aside ¾ of this mixture.
3. Transfer the remaining mixture into the pan in the oven, and pat down to form a crusty layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. To make the filling, blend the egg, ½ cup sugar, vanilla extract, sour cream, and ¼ cup flour. Whisk until smooth.
5. Take out the crust from the oven and place pineapple chunks over it evenly. Top with sour cream.
6. For the crumble topping, sprinkle the remaining crust mixture on top.
7. Bake for around 35 minutes. Allow bars to cool for an hour. Slice and serve.
3.Tropical Hot Dog
Add some tropical flair to your average hot dog by throwing in some pineapple.
- Hot dogs – 4
- Hot dog buns – 4
- Fresh, chopped pineapple – ½ cup
- Red peppers – ¼ cup
- Cilantro leaves – ½ cup
- Unsalted butter – 2 tablespoons
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of unsalted butter.
2. Cut shallow slashes across the hot dogs and toss them into the pan.
3. Fry until nicely browned.
4. Toast the hot dog buns. Place 2 hot dogs each in a set of buns.
5. Top with pineapple, peppers, and cilantro.
4.Sparkling Pineapple Ginger Ale
How about a drink to go with your food?
- Ginger ale – 340 grams
- Pineapple juice – 1½ cups
- Fresh pineapple – 4 slices
- Combine the ginger ale and pineapple juice in a pitcher.
2. Cut the pineapple slices into triangles.
3. Transfer into glasses. Serve with crushed ice and a piece of pineapple.
These pineapple-filled food and beverages are bound to make meal and snack times delicious. Take a quick tropical break by indulging in these.