The sun is one of the primary sources of energy to live on earth. Offering salutation is one way of expressing gratitude. Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is a powerful yoga technique that offers several benefits.
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is an ancient method recommended by the rishis of ancient India. They established that different parts of our body are governed by different Devas. The area behind the central point of the human body, which is the navel, is governed by the sun. It is this area or solar plexus which will be enhanced by the regular practice of Surya Namaskar. The 12 postures of Surya Namaskar accompanied by chanting uplifts the body, mind and spirit.
Best done at the time of sunrise every day, Surya Namaskar has the following benefits:
- The digestive system is strengthened and constipation is prevented.
- It enhances the nervous system. Surya Namaskar will heal shattered nerves and repairs cells slowly but successfully.
- The heart is stimulated and issues like blood pressure and palpitations are prevented and cured.
- It clears the lungs, develops them and helps in easy breathing. It prevents tuberculosis.
- The circulatory system is improved and thereby the quality of blood.
- The glandular activity is enhanced and goiter tendencies are kept in check.
- The toxic impurities in the spleen are eradicated by the profuse sweating resulting from the technique. The resulting glowing skin is proof.
- Many muscles of the neck, arms, shoulders, fingers, wrist, waist, stomach, knees and ankles are strengthened.
- Kidney troubles are kept at bay as the back is strengthened by Surya Namaskar.
- The chest gets firm and elasticity is retained.
- Surya Namaskar counters menstrual disorders like dysmenorrhea and menstrual pain by improving the health of the uterus and ovaries.
- Pregnancy is easier and discomforts of menopause disappear.
- It improves lactation for nursing mothers.
- Surya Namaskar prevents premature graying of hair and balding by increased circulation to the head.
- Fat around the abdomen, thighs, hips, neck and chin is reduced.
- Kidney troubles are reduced and eradicated.
- The body becomes more shapely when you practice Sun Salutation owing to the postures practiced.
- Neurasthenia is cured and prevented as rhythmical breathing is developed.
- Practicing Surya Namaskar improves your posture.
- It increases the disease-resisting capacity in the body and promotes immunity.
- It improves mental concentration and hence increases self-confidence and optimism.
- Surya Namaskar makes you more graceful and helps you develop poise.
- It Maintains and sustains youthfulness by improving body fitness.
- Sun Salutation promotes effective functioning of the alimentary canal thus improving the entire function of digestion, absorption and elimination of food.
- And lastly, Surya Namaskar normalizes the functions of most of the internal organs, which is vital for overall health.
This single technique of Surya Namaskar achieves more than any other exercise as it co-ordinates the actions of all the vital organs, muscles, nerves and systems.