20 Health Benefits of Bananas
Bananas pack the power of nutrition, antioxidants and fiber. No wonder they are the most popular fruits on earth.
Bananas are unarguably the first love for toddlers where fruit is concerned and continue to be a favorite for all ages. They don’t just delight with their sweetness and tenderness, they provide a host of health benefits as well.
- Eaten at breakfast, bananas carry you energetically through the day. They are energy boosters and hence naturally embraced by athletes.
- Banana has the combined action of potassium, calcium and magnesium that helps to keep blood pressure under control.
- The potassium and vitamin B in bananas improves nerve functionality and brain power. They help keep the brains sharp.
- The presence of the soluble fiber, Pectin, keeps the cholesterol levels low in the body.
- Rich in antioxidants and dietary fibers, bananas help to keep several types of cancer, especially bowel cancer, in check.
- The potassium in bananas, if consumed every day, considerably reduces the risk of stroke.
- Bananas have always been known to aid digestion. This is because of the abundance of the bacteria, fructooligosaccharide, present in bananas. They stimulate probiotics in the colon and produce enzymes which are good for digestion.
- The probiotic bacteria in bananas helps in the absorption of calcium which is vital for the bones and teeth. Bananas also protect against muscle cramps.
- For stomach ulcers, bananas have protease which get rid of bacteria in the stomach that cause ulcers. It produces a solid wall of mucus which helps in the reduction of stomach acids.
- Raw bananas are natural astringents and great for treating diarrhea.
- The pectin in the fruit also improves bowel function and alleviates constipation. This automatically helps in curing piles.
- Bananas are an ideal fruit to treat anemia as they are rich in which helps in regulating the hemoglobin levels in the body.
- Several kinds of allergies are best treated with bananas as they have plenty of amino acids that are helpful for countering them.
- The antacid substance in bananas provides immense relief from heart burn.
- Bananas eaten with yoghurt and honey are good to get over an unpleasant hangover.
- Bananas aid both weight gain and weight loss. Eaten with milk it supplies both sugar and protein required for weight gain. Since bananas are highly fibrous, they are low in fat and hence can be consumed every day to lose weight.
- Amino acids like tryptophan present in bananas release melatonin, a sleep hormone. So, eating a banana before bedtime ensures a sound sleep.
- To overcome morning sickness, dizziness or nausea, eat a banana first thing in the morning.
- Banana peels are great for overcoming irritation caused by mosquito bites. Rub the peel over the bites and get relief from the itching.
- The Vitamin A in bananas keeps eyes healthy, improves vision and reduces the risk of night blindness.
Reserve a special place for this year-round wonder fruit in your fruit basket. It will work its miracles throughout the year.