10 Ways to Recycle Your Old Jeans
Don’t throw away those old jeans. We give you ideas on how to recycle them and put them to good use…
It takes a lot of time and effort to find that perfect pair of jeans. We visit many stores, try on different pairs till we find ones that are comfy, look good and fit well. And then, we practically live in those jeans! But wearing them so many times leads to wear and tear; the jeans fade, sometimes they get holes and often, especially with slim-fit jeans, they become shapeless. So, what do we do then? Most often, we chuck them and buy another pair.
But the good news is that you don’t need to chuck that old pair. Here are ways you can recycle old pairs of jeans.
- The first thing one must consider before attempting any repurposing of the jeans, is whether they can be transformed into another item of clothing. Denim skirts and shorts are the immediate options. If you choose to do this at home, cut the jeans to the required length for a pair of shorts or a skirt. Do this carefully as once you cut them, there is no turning back. If you have a reliable tailor, get him/her to make them exactly the way you like.
- Use the back pocket to make a mobile pouch or something to store tissues.
- You can get your tailor to convert them into funky and rather unique cushion covers.
- Cut up the jeans into square pieces to make a patchwork quilt.
- Jazz up your pencil holder by covering the outside with the denim material from your jeans. Use fabric glue to stick it firmly on the holder without staining.
- Use strips of the denim to tie up your hair; you could even groovy hair bands.
- You can make smart napkins from your jeans.
- You could make lovely denim bookmarks. Add embellishments in the form of sequins, ribbon, rhinestones, buttons and more.
- Make patchwork floor mats mixing your denim jeans and other clothes you are going discard.
- You could even make a trendy denim bag with your old jeans. All you need is the top part of your jeans and some fabric scrap.