10 Super Foods That Aid Digestion and Heal the Gut
The digestive tract, also known as the gut, is one of the most interconnected systems in our body. Our overall health system depends on a healthy gut which is maintained by an efficient digestion process.
The digestive tract or gut is constantly under stress from all types of food that is passed through it. After years of functioning, damage is bound to occur with the foods perforating the gut lining and replacing the good bacteria with the bad. Mild to even chronic diseases are a consequence. By including some super foods that clean up the gut and replace them with the right food sources, the gut can be healed and protected from further damage.
Ten of these healing super foods are:
- Aloe vera: The gel of aloe vera is rich in enzymes. It also has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that help to soothe digestive discomfitures. The super food helps fight against parasitic and candida infections, ulcers, IBS and constipation.
- Lemon: Great as an alkalizing agent, lemon regulates the body’s PH levels which are vital to keep the gut healthy. Lime is also rich in Vitamin C and electrolytes. Taken on an empty stomach every morning, it really helps kick-start the digestion process.
- Ginger: Ginger has several medicinal properties. It is great for digestion and for cleaning the system. Drinking ginger and lemon tea regularly is a great way to have a healthy digestive tract.
- Turmeric: The curcumin in turmeric is the wonder component of this herb. Its super anti-inflammatory properties can heal stomach ulcers and tackle many other digestive problems. It makes sense to include it in your diet regularly.
- Mint: Consumed after meals for its cleansing properties, mint tastes delicious when prepared as herbal tea. It soothes the stomach and also helps with nausea.
- Fermented foods: An imbalance in gut bacteria causes digestive disorders that can be debilitating. Counter these problems by increasing your intake of fermented foods like yoghurt, kimchi and kefir. They help to restore healthy gut bacteria.
- Cinnamon: This spice is a powerhouse of antioxidants and is full of anti-inflammatory properties. Mix it in your tea or dust your desserts with it and enjoy the enhanced flavor along with health benefits.
- Bananas: High in fiber, this wonder fruit is a boon for digestion. It has both insoluble and soluble fibers that help in regulating bowel movements as well as blood sugar levels.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are great for healing the colon as they possess soluble fiber and omega-3 fats. They have anti-inflammatory properties and a lubricating effect. Prepare flax seed tea by pouring boiling water on a tablespoon of the seeds and draining it after allowing it to rest overnight. You can add other herbs for added flavor.
- Red cabbage: This vegetable is rich in L-glutamine amino acid which helps to heal the tissue lining of the intestine. Eaten steamed or fermented, the red cabbage will increase the production of healthy enzymes and good bacteria in the gut.
Set out on a healing journey of your gut with these digestive and healthy super foods.