We’ve all been there: spent all day working on half a dozen tasks but only finished one. How do you hack productivity? Read on to be the most productive version of yourself.
Have you ever worked full time, but still have a lot left to do when you’re back home? Most of the time, we work long hours but at the end of the day, we fail to make much progress. Try these 10 hacks to work smarter and optimize your time.
1. Make a plan the night before: One of the best ways to ensure a productive day ahead is to make a to-do list the night before. This helps you focus on what you want to achieve and serves as a reminder of the work you have to finish the next day.
2. Wake up early: That to-do list won’t work unless you do. Research shows that waking up early lifts your mood and keeps you organized. Your productivity is linked to your mood. Wake up before the sunrise and soak in those quiet hours for a head start to make the most of the day.
3. Work out: Successful people start their day with exercise. From running to tennis, any form of muscle pulling boosts productivity. By making you more alert and increasing your energy levels, working out allows you to make the best of the day.
4. Tackle the toughest tasks first: The longer a difficult task sits in your plate, the tougher it is to get it done. Start with your difficult tasks because if you tackle those first, you might be able to take it easy for the rest of the day.
5. Keep your phone 20 feet away: According to many employers, two or more hours a day are lost in productivity because of texting, internet, and social media. To stop killing your time, keep your phone in a drawer far away from your workspace or better yet, in another room.
6. Use the Pomodoro technique: If you want to make those deadlines, try the Pomodoro technique. It trains your brain away from distractions by timing you. Work on one task for 25 minutes, take a five-minute break and repeat. Take a bigger break after three sessions.
7. Check your email only twice a day: While reading emails have become a measure of productivity, they are far from it. By checking your inbox only twice a day, you’ll have more time to complete your tasks and not be disturbed every time your inbox chimes.
8. Use a standing desk: The line, ‘think on your feet’ is the logic behind standing desks. These are desks tall enough for you to work while you stand. Standing gives you a sense of urgency and you’re more focused on the task at hand, making you 10% more productive.
9. Don’t multitask: Juggling two or more tasks is an interruption for your brain, and a harmful one too. The constant back and forth causes high levels of stress. Studies have found that productivity drops 40% because of multitasking.
10. Keep a track of your habits: Try habit tracking apps like 7 Weeks or Loop to develop better habits and keep a track of them. You can build habits like daily workouts or use it to quit habits like smoking and late nights.
These hacks can help you create a smarter work style and make the best use of your time, allowing you to leave your work behind when you head home.