A lot of health issues can be handled at home with ease if you swear by granny’s alcove and the wealth of secrets stored in it. Get an incredible medicine kit of essential oils ready so that you can benefit from the medicinal power of natural herbal oils!
The essential home medi-care kit
Essential oils are natural oils obtained by distillation. They are extracted from plant leaves, stem, roots and barks of trees and retain the original essence of the plant source in their purest and most potent forms. Apart from being used for preparation of perfumes and aromas for diffusers, they offer immense health benefits when used topically or in some cases, when ingested.
Set apart a little nook at home to store these necessities. Here’s a list of essential oils that you can stock:
- Clove oil is renowned for its pain-relieving properties and comes in handy in dental applications. It also helps in reducing inflammation, boosting immunity, improving cardiovascular and respiratory conditions and digestion. Clove oil is used to treat oral infections and is known best for its ability to kill bacteria such as E.coli, Staphylococcus, as well as those that cause pneumonia and skin infections.
- Eucalyptus oil has been an integral part of granny’s medicine kit for its antibacterial, antispasmodic and antiviral properties. With a strong aroma like camphor, eucalyptus is used as a decongestant chest rub and to clear blocked sinuses and nostrils. It relieves body pain and is beneficial for some skin conditions. It helps in preventing cold and flu and is a natural insect repellent. Used in aromatherapy, it boosts the mind as well as energy.
- Sandalwood oil is used to soothe and heal sore throats. It is also a gentle bactericide. Studies indicate that sandalwood oil is beneficial for treating Alzheimer’s disease and for suppressing enzymes that affect melanin production and other physiological processes including the nervous system function. Its woody fragrance is believed to boost your health and stimulate the brain.
- Tea Tree oil has a camphor like aroma and is a powerful anti-microbial agent. It is used to cleanse wounds and treat fungal infections. Tea tree oil is used for insect bites and to reduce inflammation and itching. Used in shampoo, it helps in scalp conditions and clears up dandruff. You can use tea tree oil to prevent acne and blackheads and as a deep cleanser.
- Chamomile oil is a gentle and soothing and can be used to treat boils, cuts and bruises, dry skin, eczema, dermatitis, acne, bee and wasp stings. Chamomile alleviates stress and anxiety, reduces depression and irritability associated with PMS or menopause and insomnia.
- Calendula oil is a common herbal oil remedy for treating skin conditions. It is anti-inflammatory and is used to treat dry skin, eczema and hemorrhoids. It reduces inflammation and pain and is also used to treat diaper rash. Calendula oil fights bacterial infections in skin burns, cuts and abrasions. It is an antiseptic used for insect bites, scratches, minor cuts and burns.
- Lavender oil is popular for its calming and sleep inducing properties. It is also anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and is used to treat skin conditions such as acne, ringworm, eczema. It heals burns, cuts, stings and wounds. Lavender essential oil also improves digestion and relieves pain and swelling of sore muscles or joints.
- Peppermint oil is versatile and can be put to different uses. It reduces headache, relieves congestions and relaxes your nerves. It is known to relieve nausea and comes in handy to treat digestive conditions, allergies, fever and menstrual problems.
- Lemon oil is the most widely used essential oil and has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a natural pain reliever, is anti-fungal and is used to treat nausea, morning sickness and motion sickness. Used in aromatherapy it relieves stress and anxiety. It stimulates lymph drainage and rejuvenates the skin. It is a natural disinfectant and antiseptic. It kills intestinal parasites, bacteria and is effective for sore throat and promoting liver function.
- Rosemary oil is amazing essential oil and has various uses. This essential oil normalizes blood pressure, improves memory and brain function, relieves common aches and pains and even stimulates hair growth. It is a good body cleanser and helps detoxify skin, improve scalp health, rid dandruff, eliminate bad breath, boost the immune system and ward off cold and flu infections. It helps relieve tension headaches and treats digestive conditions. It is also a natural insecticide and bug repellent.
A research by late Dr. Terry S. Friedmann revealed that vetiver oil (vetiver is an Indian grass) proved to be beneficial for children with Attention-Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. Children who inhaled the oil three times a day for 30 days showed improved brain wave patterns and behavior and did better in school. Vetiver is known to balance the nervous system, stimulate the circulatory system and calm the mind.