10 Effective Home Remedies for Dark Circles
Forget expensive creams. Just look in your kitchen and cupboard for home remedies to treat dark circles under your eyes…
Dark circles around the eyes can be quite annoying and can put quite a dampener on the way you look. Fret not! These can easily be dealt with. Tackling the root cause of these dark circles can help prevent their recurrence. Sleeplessness, allergies, nasal congestion and vitamin deficiencies are the most common causes for dark circles around the eyes.
Here are easy and surefire ways of getting rid of them:
- Cucumber slices: As shown in every ad, placing two cold slices of cucumber over the eyes help reduce darkness around them. Alternatively, mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal parts and apply the mixture on the affected skin around your eyes. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off with water. The procedure must be repeated for a week.
- Oils: Applying almond oil or Vitamin E oil regularly on the delicate area will help eliminate dark circles. A few drops of virgin coconut oil applied overnight is effective too.
- Teabags: Apply damp and cool caffeinated teabags over your eyes for about 10 to 15 minutes. The tannin in teabags helps reduce swelling and discoloration.
- Cold spoons: Keep a spoon in the freezer overnight. Take it out in morning and cover the circles (after splashing some water over your face) with it. Hold it there until the spoon is warm again.
- Rosewater: Soak cotton eye pads in pure rosewater for a few minutes and place the soaked pads on closed eyelids for 15 minutes. It rejuvenates the skin and has a soothing effect on tired eyes. This must be done twice daily for at least a week.
- Potatoes: Extract juice from a potato and place a cotton ball soaked in the juice over closed eyes. Make sure the juice covers the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids. Allow the juice to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse your eyelids well with cool water. This procedure must be repeated once or twice daily for a few weeks. Alternatively, thick potato slices can also be used.
- Tomatoes and lemons: The juices of both tomatoes and lemons are known for their bleaching properties and can be used externally or consumed as a juice.
- Aloe vera gel: This plant has a solution for every beauty problem. Massage a small quantity of this magical gel under the eyes and leave it on for about 10-12 minutes. Doing this before going to bed is ideal.
- Petroleum jelly: Mix a pea-sized dollop of petroleum jelly and lemon juice. Apply the mixture to the area under the eyes and leave it on for an hour before cleaning it with soft facial tissue. This should not be applied on acne-prone skin as the petroleum jelly will aggravate the acne.
- Salad greens: Grind or crush parsley leaves along with yogurt and apply this mixture as an eye mask on the dark circles. Let it dry for 10 minutes; rinse with cool water.
Also, make sure to get your beauty sleep and eat nutritious food. You will find your skin glowing naturally with these home remedies to prevent dark circles around the eyes.